You will want to remove your raw bagels from the the refrigerator 30-45 minutes before you are ready to bake. Leave them in a warm spot in your kitchen to allow a pre-boil proofing to occur.
While your bagels proof:
- Pre-heat your oven to 400℉.
- Bring 2 gallons of water to boil in a large sauce pot or stock pot
- Set a cooling rack on top of a cutting board or cookie sheet (this will catch any excess seeds when you add them to your bagel and make for a much easier clean-up.Prepare a cookie sheet pan by covering the bottom with parchment paper
Once your bagels have been out of the cooler for 30-45 minutes, your oven is hot, and your water is boiling your ready to go!
- Carefully drop one bagel into your boiling water. Use a slotted spoon to prevent the bagel from sticking to the bottom of your pot. Count to 15 then flip the bagel (which should be floating). After another 15 seconds remove the bagel using your slotted spoon and place it on your cooling rack.
- Repeat with remains bagels. DO NOT START BOILING YOUR NEXT BAGEL UNTIL YOUR WATER HAS COM BACK TO A STEADY BOIL.
- Once all bagels have been boiled and are resting on cooling rack carefully sprinkle your seeds/seasoning on one side, flip bagel over and sprinkle on other side.
- Place boiled/seasoned bagels onto your parchment paper covered pan, place inside your oven, and bake for 20 minutes, flipping bagels over half way through bake.
- When done baking remove bagels from pan and let cool before slicing.